|Elsa L. Gunter|
| Curriculum Vitae |
| June 2015 |
- Application of formal methods to the design, specification, and verification of general-purpose and
special purpose programming languages and their implementation.
- Applications of process algebras and type systems to communication and security.
- Formal methods and software engineering support for formal specification and analysis of computer
systems with human operators.
|University of Chicago, ||Mathematics,||B.A., June 1979
|University of Wisconsin, Madison,||Mathematics,||M.A., May 1981
|University of Wisconsin, Madison,||Mathematics,||Ph.D.,January 1987
- January 2015 to Present: Research Professor and Senior Lecturer. Department of Computer
Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champagne.
- August 2004 to January 2015: Research Associate
Professor and Senior Lecturer. Department of Computer
Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- August 2000 to July 2004: Associate Professor, Department of Computer Science, New Jersey
Institute of Technology.
- October 1996 to July 2000: Member of Technical Staff, Bell Laboratories, Lucent Technologies.
- April 1990 to September 1996: Member of Technical Staff, Bell Laboratories, AT&T.
- October 1987 to March 1990: Post-Doctoral Research Assistant, University of Pennsylvania.
- November 1986 to June 1987: Research Assistant, University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory.
Funding at UIUC
The folowing is a listing of the grants and contracts I have held while at UIUC, listed in reverse chronological order.
Several of these where multi-institutional grants. I will use PI to indicate the Principal Investigator at each
institution, Lead PI for the PI at the lead institution, and Co-PI for co-Principal Investigators. I have not listed
funding that I transfered to UIUC when I came.
- “REU:SHF:Small:A Verification Framework for Optimization of Parallel Programs and Program
Transformation (VeriF-OPT)”, NSF, $16,000, 2013-2014, (PI) Elsa L. Gunter, (Co-PI) Grigore Roşu.
- “SHF:Small:A Verification Framework for Optimization of Parallel Programs and Program
Transformation (VeriF-OPT)”, NSF, $450,000, 2013-2016, (PI) Elsa L. Gunter, (Co-PI) Grigore Roşu.
- “Trust from Explicit Evidence: Integrating Digital Signatures and Formal Proofs”, Dept. of Defense
through ITI Lablet on Security, $150,000, 2012-2014, (PI) Elsa L. Gunter.
- “NextGenAA: Integrated Model Checking and Simulation of NextGen Authority and Autonomy”,
NASA, $2,533,574 - $652,025 at UIUC, 2010-2013, (Lead PI, UVa, Drexel) Ellen Bass, (PI GA Tech)
Karen Feigh, (PI) Elsa L. Gunter.
- “Formalizing Operator Task Analysis”, NSF, $500,00, 2009-2011, (PI) Elsa L. Gunter, (Co-PI) Carl
- “ITR: Secure Electronic Transactions”, NSF (subcontracted through Stevens Institute of Technology),
$179,312, (Lead PI, Stevens) Adriana Compagnoni, (PI at UIUC) Elsa L. Gunter.
- “Advanced Tool Integration for Embedded System Assurance”, ARO MURI, $191,885 at UIUC,
transferred from NJIT, (PI at UIUC) Elsa L. Gunter
- “An Interactive Software Testing System And Method,” joint with Doron Peled, submitted Sept. 3,
1998, issued June 2002, Patent Number 6,408,430.
- Most Influential 10 Year Paper award at Requirements Engineering (RE 2010). Joint with Carl A.
Gunter, Michael Jackson, and Pamela Zave.
- EASST (European Association of Software Science and Technology) Best Software Science Paper
presented at the European Joint Conference on Theory and Practice of Software (ETAPS) 2001, April
2-6, Genova, Italy.
- Best paper award for paper in Fourth International Conference on Requirements Engineering, June
2000, Schaumberg IL. Joint with Carl A. Gunter, Michael Jackson, and Pamela Zave.
- “Mobile Access Control”: Symposium on Trustworthy Global Computing (TGC 2005). Joint work with
Adriana Compagnoni. Edinburgh, UK, April 7–9, 2005.
- “Mobile Access Control”: Stevens, Columbia and IBM Security and Privacy Day. Joint work with
Adriana Compagnoni. Hoboken, NJ, November 14, 2005.
- [ECEASST2001] Ellen J. Bass, Karen M. Feigh, Elsa L. Gunter, John M. Rushby: “Formal
Modeling and Analysis for Interactive Hybrid Systems.” ECEASST 45 (2011)
- [TCS2008] Adriana B. Compagnoni, Elsa L. Gunter, Philippe Bidinger: “Role-based access control
for boxed ambients.” Theor. Comput. Sci. 398(1-3): 203-216 (2008)
- [ENTCS2005] Eduardo Bonelli, Adriana B. Compagnoni, Elsa L. Gunter: “Typechecking Safe
Process Synchronization.” Electr. Notes Theor. Comput. Sci. 138(1): 3-22 (2005)
- [FAC2005] Elsa L. Gunter, Doron Peled: “Model checking, testing and verification working
together.” Formal Asp. Comput. 17(2): 201-221 (2005)
- [JFP2005] Eduardo Bonelli, Adriana B. Compagnoni, Elsa L. Gunter: “Correspondence assertions
for process synchronization in concurrent communications.” J. Funct. Program. 15(2): 219-247 (2005)
- [ENTCS2004] Eduardo Bonelli, Adriana B. Compagnoni, Elsa L. Gunter: “Correspondence
Assertions for Process Synchronization in Concurrent Communications.” Electr. Notes Theor. Comput.
Sci. 97: 175-195 (2004)
- [STTT2004] Rajeev Alur, David Arney, Elsa L. Gunter, Insup Lee, Jaime Lee, Wonhong Nam,
Frederick Pearce, Stephen Van Albert, Jiaxiang Zhou: “Formal specifications and analysis of the
computer-assisted resuscitation algorithm (CARA) Infusion Pump Control System.” STTT 5(4):
- [STTT2003] Elsa L. Gunter, Anca Muscholl, Doron Peled: “Compositional message sequence
charts.” STTT 5(1): 78-89 (2003)
- [ENTCS2002] Elsa L. Gunter, Doron Peled: “Tracing the executions of concurrent programs.”
Electr. Notes Theor. Comput. Sci. 70(4): 128-141 (2002)
- [SIGSOFT2000] Carl A. Gunter, Elsa L. Gunter, Pamela Zave: “Formal software engineering.”
ACM SIGSOFT Software Engineering Notes 25(1): 54 (2000)
- [IEEESoftware2000] Carl A. Gunter, Elsa L. Gunter, Michael Jackson, Pamela Zave: A Reference
Model for Requirements and Specifications. IEEE Software 17(3): 37-43 (2000)
- [CJ1995] Elsa L. Gunter, Savi Maharaj: “Studying the ML Module System in HOL.” Comput. J.
38(2): 142-151 (1995)
- [IC1992] Carl A. Gunter, Elsa L. Gunter, David B. MacQueen: “Computing ML Equality Kinds
Using Abstract Interpretation.” Inf. Comput. 107(2): 303-323 (1993)
- Elsa L. Gunter. “HOL case study: Modular arithmetics.” In The HOL System: Tutorial, Volume 2,
chapter 9: 233-345. Michael J. C. Gordon, editor. Cambridge Research Centre, SRI International.
Edited Conference Proceedings
- Elsa L. Gunter, Amy P. Felty (Eds.): “Theorem Proving in Higher Order Logics, 10th International
Conference, TPHOLs’97”, Murray Hill, NJ, USA, August 19-22, 1997, Proceedings. Lecture Notes in
Computer Science 1275, Springer 1997, ISBN 3-540-63379-0
Refereed Conference and Workshop Papers
- [ICTAC2014] Liyi Li, Elsa Gunter and William Mansky: “Symbolic Analysis Tools for CSP.”
Eleventh International Colloquium on Theoretical Aspects of Computing 2014: to appear
- [LOLA2014] William Mansky and Elsa Gunter: “A Cross-Language Framework for Verifying
Compiler Optimizations.” Fifth Workshop on Syntax and Semantics of Low-Level Languages: to appear
- [WPTE2014] William Mansky and Elsa Gunter: “Verifying Optimizations for Concurrent
Programs.” Workshop on Rewriting Techniques for Program Transformations and Evaluation 2014.:
- [GRAPHITE2014] William Mansky, Dennis Griffith and Elsa Gunter: “Specifying and Executing
Optimizations for Parallel Programs.” 3rd Workshop On GRAPH Inspection and Traversal
Engineering: to appear
- [NFM2013] Dennis Griffith, Elsa L. Gunter: “LiquidPi: Inferrable Dependent Session Types.” NASA
Formal Methods 2013: 185-197
- [ATACCS2012] Ayesha Yasmeen, Karen M. Feigh, Gabriel Gelman, Elsa L. Gunter: “Formal
analysis of safety-critical system simulations.” ATACCS 2012: 71-81
- [ITP2012] William Mansky, Elsa L. Gunter: “Using Locales to Define a Rely-Guarantee Temporal
Logic.” ITP 2012: 299-314
- [ICFP2011] Andrei Popescu, Elsa L. Gunter: “Recursion principles for syntax with bindings and
substitution.” ICFP 2011: 346-358
- [ISSTA2011] Ayesha Yasmeen, Elsa L. Gunter: “Automated framework for formal operator task
analysis.” ISSTA 2011: 78-88
- [SMC2011a] Ayesha Yasmeen, Elsa L. Gunter: “Robustness for protection envelopes with respect
to human task variation.” SMC 2011: 1809-1816
- [SMC2011b] Ellen J. Bass, Matthew L. Bolton, Karen M. Feigh, Dennis Griffith, Elsa
L. Gunter, William Mansky, John M. Rushby: “Toward a multi-method approach to formalizing
human-automation interaction and human-human communications.” SMC 2011: 1817-1824
- [FOSSACS2010] Andrei Popescu, Elsa L. Gunter: “Incremental Pattern-Based Coinduction for
Process Algebra and Its Isabelle Formalization.” FOSSACS 2010: 109-127
- [ITP2010] William Mansky, Elsa L. Gunter: “A Framework for Formal Verification of Compiler
Optimizations.” ITP 2010: 371-386
- [LICS2010] Andrei Popescu, Elsa L. Gunter, Christopher J. Osborn: “Strong Normalization for
System F by HOAS on Top of FOAS”. LICS 2010: 31-40
- [HICSS2009] Elsa L. Gunter, Ayesha Yasmeen, Carl A. Gunter, Anh Nguyen: “Specifying and
Analyzing Workflows for Automated Identification and Data Capture.” HICSS 2009: 1-11
- [LFMTP2009] Elsa L. Gunter, Christopher J. Osborn, Andrei Popescu: “Theory support for weak
higher order abstract syntax in Isabelle/HOL.” LFMTP 2009: 12-20
- [FAST2008] Elsa L. Gunter, Ayesha Yasmeen: “Secure Broadcast Ambients.” Formal Aspects in
Security and Trust 2008: 257-271
- [RTSS2007] Tanya L. Crenshaw, Elsa L. Gunter, Craig L. Robinson, Lui Sha, P. R. Kumar:
“The Simplex Reference Model: Limiting Fault-Propagation Due to Unreliable Components in
Cyber-Physical System Architectures.” RTSS 2007: 400-412
- [HCMDSS2007] Jennifer Hou, Qixin Wang, Linda Ball, Stanley Birge, Marco Caccamo, Chin-Fei
Cheah, Eric Gilbert, Carl Gunter, Elsa Gunter, Chang-Gun Lee, Karrie Karahalios, Min-Young Nam,
Narasimhan Nitya, Chaudhri Rohit and Lui Sha: “PAS: A Wireless-enabled, Sensor-integrated Personal
Assistance System for Independent and Assisted Living.” High Confidence Medical Devices, Software,
and Systems and Medical Device Plug-and-Play Interoperability, 2007. (HCMDSS-MDPnP 2007).:
- [SMC2006] Qixin Wang, Wook Shin, Xue Liu, Zheng Zeng, Cham Oh, Bedoor K. AlShebli, Marco
Caccamo, Carl A. Gunter, Elsa L. Gunter, Jennifer C. Hou, Karrie Karahalios, Lui Sha: “I-Living:
An Open System Architecture for Assisted Living.” SMC 2006: 4268-4275
- [TGC2005] Adriana B. Compagnoni, Elsa L. Gunter: “Types for Security in a Mobile World.” TGC
- [VTP2003] Elsa L. Gunter, Doron Peled: “Unit Checking: Symbolic Model Checking for a Unit of
Code.” Verification: Theory and Practice, Essays Dedicated to Zohar Manna on the Occasion of His
64th Birthday. 2003: 548-567
- [TACAS2002] Elsa L. Gunter, Doron Peled: “Temporal Debugging for Concurrent Systems.”
TACAS 2002: 431-444
- [TACAS2001] Elsa L. Gunter, Anca Muscholl, Doron Peled: “Compositional Message Sequence
Charts.” TACAS 2001: 496-511
- [CAV2000] Elsa L. Gunter, Robert P. Kurshan, Doron Peled: “PET: An Interactive Software
Testing Tool.” CAV 2000: 552-556
- [ICRE2000] Carl A. Gunter, Elsa L. Gunter, Michael Jackson, Pamela Zave: “A Reference Model
for Requirements and Specifications-Extended Abstract.” ICRE 2000: 189
- [PDPTA2000] Elsa L. Gunter, Doron Peled: “Using a Mix of Languages in Formal Methods: The
PET System.” PDPTA 2000
- [TACAS1999] Elsa L. Gunter, Doron Peled: “Path Exploration Tool.” TACAS 1999: 405-419
- [TPHOLs1998a] Karthikeyan Bhargavan, Carl A. Gunter, Elsa L. Gunter, Michael Jackson, Davor
Obradovic, Pamela Zave: “The Village Telephone System: A Case Study in Formal Software
Engineering.” TPHOLs 1998: 49-66
- [TPHOLs1998b] Elsa L. Gunter: “Adding External Decision Procedures to HOL90 Securely.”
TPHOLs 1998: 143-152
- [HOL1995] Elsa L. Gunter, Leonid Libkin: “Interfacing HOL90 with a Functional Database Query
Language.” HOL 1995: 170-185
- [DEXA1994] Elsa L. Gunter, Leonid Libkin: “OR-SML: A Functional Database Programming
Language for Disjunctive Information and Its Applications.” DEXA 1994: 641-650
- [HOL1994] Savi Maharaj, Elsa L. Gunter: “Studying the ML Module System in Hol.” HOL 1994:
- [HUG1993a] Myra Van Inwegen, Elsa L. Gunter: “HOL-ML.” HUG 1993: 61-74
- [HUG1993b] Elsa L. Gunter: “A Broader Class of Trees for Recursive Type Definitions for HOL.”
HUG 1993: 141-154
- [HOL1992] Elsa L. Gunter: “Why we can’t have SML-style datatype Declarations in HOL.” HOL
- [TACS1991] Carl A. Gunter, Elsa L. Gunter, David B. MacQueen: “An Abstract Interpretation for
ML Equality Kinds.” TACS 1991: 112-130
- [HOL1991] Richard Gerber, Elsa L. Gunter, Insup Lee: “Implementing a Real-Time Process Algebra
in HOL.” HOL 1991: 144-154
- [CADE1990] Amy P. Felty, Elsa L. Gunter, Dale Miller, Frank Pfenning: “Tutorial on
Lambda-Prolog.” CADE 1990: 682
- [ELP1989] Elsa L. Gunter: “Extensions to Logic Programming Motivated by the Construction of a
Generic Theorem Prover.” ELP 1989: 223-244
- [MFPS1989] Elsa L. Gunter: “Pseudo-Retract Functors for Local Lattices and Bifinite L-domains.”
Mathematical Foundations of Programming Semantics 1989: 351-363
- [CADE1988] Amy P. Felty, Elsa L. Gunter, John Hannan, Dale Miller, Gopalan Nadathur, Andre
Scedrov: “Lambda-Prolog: An Extended Logic Programming Language.” CADE 1988: 754-755
Systems Design and Implementation:
- DSILL a distributed and parallel functional language with communication across channels with linear
logic session types. Based on the language SILL by Frank Pfenning. Joint work with Dennis Griffith.
- VeriF-OPT A Verification Framework for Optimizations and (Parallel) Program Transformations,
combining the abstract semantics of the parallel-language transformation language PTRANS
- PTRANS Executable Semantics for specifying and testing optimizations as CTL-conditioned
graph rewrites on low-level parallel code expressed using control-flow graphs. Joint with William
- Tutela for modeling combined machine and human operator systems, and for determining how much
protection a computer system has against possible (un)predictable human operator action variations.
Joint work with Ayesha Yasmeen.
- Tutela Example: Analysis of a self-scan checkout system for the robustness of operator
- Simulation Trace Verifier for verifying LTL properties of simulation traces produced by the
simulator Work Models that Compute (WMC) from Georgia Tech, via the reduction, abstraction,
augmentation and conversion to finite state machines of the traces. Joint work with Ayesha Yasmeen.
- DOVE extension for composing extended finite state machines to enable modular reasoning about
concurrent systems. Joint work with Yi Meng.
- PET, the Path Evaluation Tester, a tool for the selection and analysis of paths in concurrent programs. Joint
with Doron Peled.
- HOL90 Higher-order logic theorem prover based on HOL88 developed at Cambridge University. Work joint
with Konrad Slind when he interned as a Master’s student at Bell Labs. This system was has been the basis of
dozens of projects, and used by hundreds of users (over 400 users downloaded HOL90 version 7). It formed the
basis of the interactive theorem provers HOL4 and HOL-Light, and was
influential in the creation of the Isabelle-HOL.
Graduated Ph.D. Students
- William Mansky: “Specifying and Verifying Program Transformations with PTRANS,” April 2014.
Current Position: Post-doc at the University of Pennsylvania.
- Ayesha Yasmeen: “Formalizing Operator Task Analysis,” June 2011. Current Position: Software
Engineer at Turn.
- Andrei Popescu: “Contributions to the Theory of Syntax with Bindings and to Process Algebra,”
October 2010. Current Position: Post-doc at the Informatics Institute, Technical University Munich.
- Yi Meng: “Automata-based Automatic Software Verification Framework,” May 2006, NJIT. No record
of his current position, may have returned to China.
Current Ph.D. Students
- Dennis Griffith: “Lightweight Secure Distributed Programming.” Expected completion: December 2015.
- Susannah Johnson: “Formal Framework for
Access Control Evaluation.” Expected completion: May 2019.
- Liyi Li, co-advised by Prof. Grigore Roşu. General topic – formalisms and tool support for concurrent
languages. Expected completion: May 2018.
Graduated M.S. Students
- Liyi Li, UIUC 2014
- Christopher J. Osborn, UIUC 2010
- Justin S. Davis, UIUC 2006
- Hassan Adekoya, NJIT 2003
- Swaroop Malangi, NJIT 2003
- Dhruv Kataria, NJIT 2002
- Guhan Swaminathan, NJIT 2002
Graduated B.S. Thesis Students
- Kyungwha Byun, May 2014
- Matthew L. Cooper, May 2014
- Ryan M. Hitchman, May 2014
- John J. Lee, May 2014
- Liyi Li, May 2012
- Eric C. Peterson, May 2009
- James B. Kionka, May 2008
Thesis Committee Non-Advisor Member
- Brandon Moore – Prelim: Dec 12, 2013, Thesis Defense, expected Spring 2015
- Tanya Crenshaw – Prelim: November 15, 2007; Thesis Defense: July 18, 2008
Other Academic Supervisions
- Ph.D. students supervised while at Bell Labs for summer projects, or fellowships: Vijay Gehlot, Savitri
Maharaj, Diana Meadows, Ramesh Subramaniam, Myra VanInwegen, Healfdene Goguen, Leonid
Libkin, Mark Smith, Davor Obradovic, Karthikeyan Bhargavan
- Other students supervised at Bell Labs: Konrad Slind (MS student), Rafael Hernandez (BS).
- AAAI 2014 Spring Symposium on Formal Verification & Modeling in Human-Machine Systems
- First through Fifth International Conference on Interactive Theorem Proving (2010 - 2014);
- International Workshop on Logical Frameworks and Meta-languages: Theory and Practice LFMTP
- Programming Methods for Mobile and Pervasive Systems, PMMPS 2010, 2011;
- Workshop on Mechanized Metatheory, WMM 2010;
- Monterey Workshop (2003);
- Ninth through Eighteenth International Conference on Theorem Proving in Higher Order Logics
(TPHOLs’96 - TPHOLs’08);
- Chair of the Tenth International Conference on Theorem Proving in Higher Order Logics (TPHOLs’97);
- Seventh and Eighth International Workshop on Higher Order Logic Theorem Proving and its
Applications (1994, 1995)
- Twelfth Conference on Automated Deduction (CADE 1994);
- Lambda Prolog Workshop (1992);
- Fourth and Fifth Annual HOL Users Meeting (1991, 1992);
Proposal and Project Reviews
- NSF Panel 2004, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2014
- Member of NSF workshop on the future of automated deduction (1996)
- Member of an external review board for the Formal Methods department at TeleDanmark (1994);